Monday, September 04, 2006

Deivathin Kural Series - 45

Om Namah Sivaya.
Deivathin Kural # 45 of 15 Aug 2006.

1.These e-mails are translations of talks given by the erstwhile Pontiff of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam, over more than sixty years, published by Vanady Padippagam, T.Nagar, Chennai, India, in ten volumes, in the Tamil language. The english version is likely to be available very soon. These e-mails are simply an effort on the part of the sender, to share some of his bliss, as it is said, 'Yam perra peru peruga ivvaiyagam'. When he adds any personal observations he uses the phrase, 'KTSV adds'.
(continued from e-mail #44 of 14 Aug 2006)
18. I had told them that, I would visit the cities only if Brahmins were ready to atleast don some of the basic symbolic indications of Brahminhood, such as having ash smeared on the forehead, cutting the hair in 'kudumi' style and wearing the 'veshti' in 'Panchakacham' mode. Not to indicate any superiority of caste, but only to show that they belong to a caste of people in service for the mankind's wellbeing. My demand was neither granted, nor did they stop requesting me to visit. I told myself that, 'despite their not being able to abide by my wishes, I cannot deny the fact that, they evidently had lots of love. Let us give in. Let me go and sit amidst them and put across my heart's desire and see if there is some response. After all the organisation of this Matam, is meant to point out their blemishes and faults and suggest remedial measures. Whether they listen to me or not, my job is to keep telling them.' So saying, I acceeded to their request. I started coming to the cities and towns.
19. When people happily welcome me and erect welcome arches in each street corner with decorations and banners; I wonder if I should touch subjects that will hurt them. Everybody has many problems. In the condition that the world finds itself, there is no end to human suffering. For some time, they come here to forget their worries, to be happy in religious festivities. To them if I say, that this is wrong, and this is your mistake, will it not be irritating? Should I simply make them happy? That is what I asked myself. Then I thought, that after all, If temporary happiness is their aim, they could have gone to some cinema or drama party. They could have invited some concert singers. If I come for money, I am bounden to make them happy with suitable talks. But I am not coming for transient happiness. Matam does not need so much money. The more money I get, I have to think of conducting some 'sadas' or 'sandarpanai', call some scholors and honour them, to spend the additional money. With less money, I can spend my life time in villages. But my duty demands me that, I try and reach more and more people, as many of the masses, and tell them as to what is going wrong. That is the purpose of my existance.
20. Having thought on the above lines, I came to the conclusion that, "Whether the listeners of my talks, do it in action or not; whether they like it or not; my duty is to tell them, 'Appa!' [ Appa means 'father'. It is a way of addressing elders and youngsters alike],
this is what is good for your personal upliftment as well as for the wellbeing of the world. Please try and do what you can about it." This I decided, is my duty to repeat endlessly and put it in as many people's ears as possible. Other than telling like this by word of mouth, I cannot punish. I do not have any powers to punish either. Even those Parties, which are saying that all the Castes should be combined into one, take disciplinary action to expel some people from their parties. Neither do I have such powers to excommunicate anyone from this religion, nor do I want such powers. I can only put it in your ears. That is the only 'right', I am asking. I have come to say what I can and I should not refrain from doing so.
21. Somewhere if some one starts listening to me and does as per my request, it is enough. That will grow in to a huge movement. Don't totally unjustified organizations take root and grow huge, from a small nucleus of ten rag-tag individuals? For a just cause like this, it is enough if a few people get together. It is in that hope that I am talking without giving up. Please do not conclude that I am disappointed with you all. The complicated compultions of modern life is not unknown to me. Any thing is easier getting into than getting out of. I know your dilemma. Despite all that, when I note that a Kumba Abishekam,(repair and consecration of temples), or Bajan(singing in praise of God), or Pravachanam(a talk on the scriptures), is getting organised, and I see the frequency increasing, I feel happy. Actually I get motivated and encouraged, by such information, to tell you about the base foundation of Veda Dharma behind all this. Though there is enormous scope for much mistakes against the injunctions of scriptures to-day; though there is much fear of what the future can hold; I also see many indications of the revival of the Hindu religious beliefs, here and there. Instead of crying over spilt milk, instead of fearing further decline; it is necessary to nurture the positive indicators. That will enable shepherding the people who have gone astray.
22. With this hope, I am telling you of our traditional, age old methods. I am not saying that just because it is old, it is the best. But just because it is old, is also not reason enough to discard it, calling it useless. Just because something is old or new, one should not adopt it or leave it. Test its usefulness and then decide to leave it or adopt it. We should take what is good and discard what is bad, whether it is old or new; should be the attitude. That is what Mahakavi Kalidasan says.
23. I feel reluctant of pointing out what is wrong in the so called modern approach and way of life. I talked of other subjects, such as Bakthi, Gnanam, culture etc. They are OK. But they are all like the branches, leaves, flowers and fruits of a tree. There is a root for all that. That is the Vedas. Without the root, Veda Rakshanam, nothing else can survive. Leaving this subject of nurturing and protecting the Vedas, nothing else interests me. Since I have been talking to you all these days, many other subjects, I have developed some self confidence and familiarity with you all. My hesitancy to talk about the your 'kurai' or deficiency is less now. After all is said and done, Ihave come for this purpose only. Since you have done your bit about welcoming me, now I can and will talk to you about, Veda Rakshanam.
24. For this, in addition to all that you have done so far; like Vinoba, I am asking for a donation. Other than saying that each man who calls himself a Brahmin, should do Adyayanam and make his son do the same; I have another important request. This request is even more important. That is that, the existing Veda Patasalas, which are breathing their last, have to be protected from the imminent risk of closure, and made to run. For this purpose, the teachers and students have to be given, cash assistance. We have to find funds for that. More such schools have to be opened. The root Vedas have to be taught. Then it's meaning as given in the Bhashyams have to be covered. Having tutored them, the students should be tested for proficiency. The students have to be paid stipend during the learning stage. Once the student passes his exams, he should be given substantial monetary assistance, as related to his performance. We have to do this, if Vedas are to survive. We need capital for all this.
25. There are some trusts for this. Many have donated lands. I have accepted land being donated, like Vinoba did. Now some land ceiling limits have been imposed. So I am asking for money. That is, each one of you, thinking of me(since I am the one asking for it), put one rupee in a hundi, on the birth-star-day. From that hundi, on your birth day, send twelve rupees to Veda Rakshana Nidhi, once a year. The subscribers will recieve, on their birth-star-day, every month, Vibhuthi, kumkumam and Mantra-atchathai. If you send this every year, Chandramouleeswara Prasadam will reach your house, on your birth day every year. You have many expenses. I am asking one rupee a month. If you do this, on the analogy of, 'small drops make the oceon', Veda Rakshanam, will recieve a boost.
26. My priority is to take the necessary actions, to ensure nurturing of the Vedas, for the future generations. If you ask me why, my answer is this. 'As long as there is Veda Mantra chanting, the sound of Vedas will protect and benefit humanity. This will not only cause periodic rains and agricultural sufficiency, but also enable ennobling thought creation, in people's minds. If the world has to come to know, that Vaidika Dharmam is not restricted to some people of some corner of the world and the benefits accruing is universal in intention and effect; and through this if we are to have unity and peace, in the whole world; cutting across continents and religions; in our country, we have to have, a set of people who have dedicated their whole life for this purpose and will continue to do so, for this purpose. This is so that to-day and for ever, not only for our country but for the whole world; a salubrious environment and individual Atma-Shanthi, will prevail. That is why I am emphasising Veda Rakshanam.'
27. In the next generation, there should not be a single Brahmin, who has not studied the Vedas. This is not so that he can lord over others. He has a responsibility unmatched by anything in the past. For the future of mankind, he has this not so enviable, task of protecting the Vedas. How can a small set of people sitting in some corner of the world, do this for all? If that is your question, let me give you an example. There is a power house, say with a staff of four people. The whole city is lighted because of those four. To hold the Devine Torch of Veda high, some people are enough. I have this and no other task. That is why I accepted your invitation. There has been much loud chanting of, 'Hara Hara Sankara, Jaya Jaya Sankara', these past few days. May be by this, I thought of getting an opportunity to reach your ears and hearts. You have to listen to me. You have to make an effort to do as per my requests.
You do so many things for yourself, office, business, entertainment and passing time. Do this for my sake. For my sake protect the Vedas. Why this difference of you and me. We are one. My job is your job. Veda Rakshanam is the only job, by doing which, you get all the benefits and I get the name.
Sambhomahadeva.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home